Saturday, November 8, 2008

One word

The amazing power of one word astonishes me. One word with all of it's baggage and meaning, and placement within a frame. Even without the placement of a frame. This one word has brought me to tears. It is the word that best describes my hearts greatest struggles. It is a simple word, no academia needed to interpret, not grandiose meaning to be had. Nothing artsy or flowery, or even existential about it. It is not complicated, there are no innuendos surrounding it, or even double meanings hidden within. It is simple in its power, efficient in it's rendering of my heart. It cuts through the confusion and lays bare the fears and wounds, lessons and disappointments, and gropings at healing. It is unpretentious in it's presentation, clear and concise. It is my nemesis and greatest ally in trying to understand myself, and subsequently the human condition. It is the emotion you see on a crying child's face, the homeless man on the street, and the lover you just walked away from. The innocence in the word itself leads to a humility that cannot be ignored. It renders one helpless... and explained. It is what I run from and what I can't escape. It is the one word I look at, and the world stops. I get it. 

Unwanted

Wandering aimlessly, this word haunts. It steals place, recognition and value. Basic attributes of life, I look at every face and secretly ask yes or no to that word. And even when the answer the antithesis and it seems defeated in some sort of miracle, I wonder, to what extent? How conditional is it? When will I push to the point where the word comes back and reappears? 

Lord?    

1 comment:

CMFreeze said...

I really like this entry. Thanks for sharing <3