Monday, June 16, 2008

Interesting

So I got this email from a friend of mine, and the question he brought up was a good one that I think plagues a lot of people. I tend to be very analytical and his thoughts are some that when a believer faces the world, needs to be able to process. It's not easy facing difference philosophies at times, and these are just my rambling thoughts, but they are what they are.


From my friend:

What if God is a Motif and the real loss is when he became a fact??

My response:

You are asking if God is basically a penicillin for the epidemic of human selfishness correct? As if He is only a tool we use to reach into the psyche for a sort of consciousness awareness? That the preference would be for me, or others to believe in Him as an ethereal idea to construct our own healing through. Correct me if I am wrong, but that seems to be the idea you are coming from correct?

If you are, my response is this: you can not have relationship with a Motif. It can not speak back to you, know your heart, hear your prayers, be the base for your existence. The true sadness would be if He were just that ( motif that is). My heart and spirit are what urge me to pursue Him with the belief that He is much, much more than that.

At the end of the day, we all ask ourselves one basic question: Do we believe in God. See, belief is inevitable. We have to believe, have faith in something. There is an innate need in every human, to believe in something. Will it be God, or will it be something truly more Motif(ish) if you will. Something that grounds us in reality, that keeps us from spinning too far out into the existentialism that is truly sociopathic in nature.

So the real question seems to be, why do I choose to believe in God? Why is it that I believe in Jesus as the Christ, the one and only, and all that goes along with that? The relationship, the purposed, the drive, the fulfillment? Good question. And in all honesty I could give you some well thought out analytical answer regarding how we have proof of Christ walking the Earth, and recorded miracles He preformed, or about how the Bible happens to be one of the most historically factual books in all of history, or even how it takes more faith to believe in the concept of spontaneous life (and this comes for a studier or biological anthropology and statistics) than it does in the creation of a world and life by a higher power, but that isn't what I would spit at you.

What I would say is this, I believe for two reasons: 1. I have seen Him. I have felt Him. I have had experiences that my mind can not explain. Things that are too coincidental, that are too far beyond my reason, and trust me, I can reason myself into, or out of anything. I know that sounds juvenile, easily susceptible to self-soothing hallucinations, or created connections from a deep need to ascribe to the faith of my father, but really, that's not the case. With all that I have gone through in my lifetime, my faith has taken a beating. There are days it would be so much easier to not believe. Days I wish I could not know. The path of a believer is difficult. The world we live in is full of dichotomies and ironies that seem to send a message of disbelief. But I fight through, and that leads me to my second reason for believing: 2. because I know. Because everyday I wake up knowing that there is something beyond me. Knowing that there is an energy that no scientist can explain physically holding my body together. There is something that keeps the world from spinning literally out into orbit, there is something that keeps the balance of the universe in it's place. The longing in me to be fulfilled by something, the longing for a relationship beyond that of a physical nature, the need for a purpose that goes beyond my 80 some-odd-years on this earth, a need to dedicate my life to something worthy, righteous and justified, are not the needs and desires of a self-delusionalized idealist, but placed there by the same Source that created me. They are just as real as the ground I am standing on, and has just as much of a purpose; to draw me in to searching. To keep me unsatisfied with what the world gives me as it's created answers.

What do I think the real Motif is? The denial most people live in. The self-talking out of that which seems to bizarre to believe. Too juvenile, too irresponsible and simple? What if that is the excuse people use to keep the fear at bay that they may be wrong? We have all been wounded by the church (a misconception of what Jesus really wanted expressed through those that claim His name), but can we always allow that to be the reason to hide behind the desire to run from something we don't understand. It is harder to believe than it is to not believe. If God is dead, isn't easier for the society that we live in to keep people unsatisfied and coming back to whatever source for more? It feeds the product of need that keeps our greater culture running.

Wow, I think I will blog this. LOL.

Sara

What if God is a Motif and the real loss is when he became a fact??

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

wow, give your brain a break! you think too much :)
Love the blog

Steph