Wednesday, June 11, 2008

New Hair - New attitude

Why is it that a hair cut can change an entire perspective?

I went to get a "trim" today, but alas as most things go in my life, what I thought would be a small amount of changed turned into a butchers dream. To quote "Um, you realize most of your hair is so damaged it is completely irrepairable." Hmm... I think I said that about my life at one time.

So the scissors came out, and the dead ends came off. By the time she was finished, it looked like a wild animal had been shaved.

The one redeeming factor was this: I got bangs. And not just bangs, but BANGS. The kind you see in the magazines but you usually don't have the guts to do because you aren't sure they will look good on you. Gutsy move, I know. Spur of the moment. I am not sure if I have buyers remorse yet... that could be a good thing.

But as I walked out of the salon, I noticed I was walking different. A slight tilt of the head, one eyebrow cocked, and steps just a tad longer than before. I got into my car, flipped down my visor, looked in the mirror and thought "Hey, why the hell not?"

Why is it that a hair cut can completely transform your attitude? Because it can. It can change your whole outlook. One moment I am overrun by dead ends and added weight that does nothing but keep me down, the next I have cut that loose and took a chance with a little flare. Life is not meant to be lived in safety. What we know isn't always what is best for us, and what we have isn't always so beautiful.

I wondered if it would look good, but really was I wondering if anyone would be there to catch my fall? A little too analytical you might say, but really, isn't hair just an extention of inner mechanics? Sometimes you have to give someone else the scissors and say... "Get off the dead stuff!" I am going to take a risk and find out if anyone else is at the bottom.

And no matter what... it always grows back.

No comments: